Tuesday 26 June 2012

One Month Down!


I cannot believe that we having been biking for one month. The time really has gone by so quickly and after a conversation yesterday with Alan, a fellow Bike2Work participant, I wish we were doing this all over again. Alan and I ran into one another as we were picking up our bikes to ride home. We were discussing how the challenge has been going and he made mention to a challenge he set for himself that made my ride home and back to work this morning so much fun!
He told me that each day he times himself to see how quickly he can make it to and from work. His goal has been to beat his own time each day and to find new routes to take that have less lights or stop signs to make sure his time keeps improving.
I thought this was such a great idea that I tried it myself. It was such a simple personal challenge and I had so much more fun on my ride home. I actually did not time myself, partly because I had to make a few stops on the ride home, but I felt like I was flying! (Thanks Alan)
At this point it seems appropriate to tell you a few things that I have learnt from riding my bike to work these past few weeks:

1.      Reinvesting in your body feels great;

2.      Not having enough time is an excuse (at least for me);

3.      Gas is expensive…;

4.      You can still go to the LCBO after work to grab a bottle of wine (or three :$);

5.      Biking in the rain is as much fun now as it was when you were a kid;

6.      Biking in lightening is beautiful and incredibly scary;

7.      Bikers scare drivers as much as drivers scare bikers;

Finally, there is a huge need for more bike lanes in KW. I am so excited to continue biking to work, but there are simply some areas that are not safe. As I ride down Ottawa Street or Homer Watson I am constantly reminded of this. Twice now, including this morning, I have been forced by motor vehicles to ride so close to the sidewalk that my bike petal has gotten stuck on the curb. This is the worst feeling I have had so far on my ride to work; not knowing if I am going to get my petal unstuck in time or fall off of my bike into traffic.

I would also like to thank the City of Kitchener and Ziggy’s Cycle for putting on this challenge. This has been a life changing experience…one I will keep up with. Thank You!


Laura (Desire2Learn)

No comments:

Post a Comment