Monday 25 June 2012

Be careful what you wish for ...

After the humidity of last week, I was wishing for a cool break.   Well, we certainly got that today!
It was 14C when I hopped on the bike this morning but, thankfully, sunny.   I was just in black shorts and T-shirt and it really forced me to pick up the pace to generate some warmth.  I arrived at my destination 8 km later in record time (18 minutes) and here is how it looked:
As I stepped outside of the Kitchener Operations Facility after my meetings, I soon realized why my trip there had gone so quickly.  Here I thought I was getting in good shape - it was the WIND at my back that made all the difference.

However, the trek back to Kitchener City Hall, took more like 40 minutes instead of my normal 20 going against the wind.  I rarely managed to get past 3rd gear.  I had to get off the major roads and find more sheltered passage on side-streets and The Iron Horse Trail. 

Going slower surely allows you to see more.  Here is a sample of some of the beautiful gardens as I was passing by Rockway.

A key bonus, however, is that because of the chilly and windy conditions, I had absolutely no need for a shower when I returned to City Hall - maybe I shouldn't confess to such achievements ;-)

Greg K., City of Kitchener

No comments:

Post a Comment