Friday 15 June 2012

Strategic Commute Planning


This week I'd like to discuss strategic commute planning. Here are a few things that I've learned/observed during my commute to work that made my ride more comfortable and enjoyable:

  • Small side streets with less traffic are much more enjoyable, even if this increases the time of the commute via stop signs and street lights. If available, trails are even better.
  • Be prepared for non-ideal weather, even when the forecast is good. A lightweight wind and water-proof jacket can make all the difference.
  • Wear shorts and a light top then change into office attire once you arrive, especially if you sweat easily. Even on a cool day, pants and long sleeves make it feel too hot outside.
  • If you arrive early, start the first 10 minutes of work in your "commuting clothes" then shower and change into office attire once you cool down. This will prevent you from continuing to sweat after you've changed.
  • Drink water before, during (only when stopped!), and after your commute. I consistently feel dehydrated once I arrive if I get distracted by the scenery along the way.
  • Bring along a pair of sunglasses that fit snug (your stylish ones are not so stylish once they fall off and are crushed under a wheel) to keep the sun, wind, bugs, dust, and other debris out of your eyes. Polarized ones are even better for keeping your vision clear.
  • Wearing a backpack = sweaty shirt and back. Thanks to Ziggy's, I have some nice pannier bags to carry my stuff around without compromising movement.
  • Take a route that has varying elevation changes. It might be nice to go downhill the whole way in one direction, but the return on that route will not be fun. I enjoy varying sections of up and downhill to provide both a challenge and some relaxation.



Some of these are obviously just guidelines or my preference. If you've had a different experience, post some tips and tricks in the comments!

- Kyle A. from Desire2Learn

1 comment: