Tuesday 26 June 2012

Finally feeling local

Downtown Kitchener has a lot of great residential areas, and I have lived in one for over five years. But only very recently have I started to "feel local".

I worked in a Waterloo tech area, seldom went downtown, except walking to the library now and then.

Over the last year, I have realized how great my area is. We started going (and walking) to the symphony, regularly going (again, walking) to the KW|AG1, and I have just generally walked much, much more. I have discovered parks all over, hidden lane-ways, interesting houses, buildings and gardens.

Part of this was just slowly becoming aware of our surroundings. Part of this was having a baby that finds walking calming. Part of this was switching to a job downtown. And part of this was biking.

Biking puts you right on the streets, exposed to the noises and smells2 of downtown. In the car, I would have the radio on; when I walk, I often listen to podcasts. When I am cycling it is just me, the bike and the city. I expected to get bored taking the same short route every day, but there is something new to notice all the time. This morning I was thinking about what I will see if I keep biking this same route until the snow comes.

In late summer, the grasses along the tracks will turn yellow and seedy. In fall the huge maples on Louisa and Wellington will turn yellow and red. The small multiplex at Wellington and Duke is already almost done replacing all the balconies. The redevelopment of industrial spaces seems to be continuing along the tracks towards Krug, I am curious to see what the The Breithaupt Block will look like, and what companies will locate there. The industrial and commercial areas are in the midst of an exciting transition; only blocks away the residential areas seem so green and full of life.

I am excited about the rest of the summer and the fall. I am certainly a much bigger fan of downtown than I was before. Be it resolved that now when someone asks me where I live, I will say "Downtown Kitchener", rather than "Near Uptown Waterloo".
- Eric M
Google

  1. I remembered the KW Art Gallery from public school as sort of a dusty shrine to Homer Watson. Maybe it was never really like that, but it definitely isn't now. Great contemporary shows, both local and touring.
  2. Why can't I smell cakes being baked at the new cake place at Victoria and Duke? I am sure I wouldn't be able to resist if I could smell that on the way home. Or is it the wind direction?

No comments:

Post a Comment