Friday 15 June 2012

Too Close for Comfort.....

Congratulations Alan!  But keep up the great work as I am right on your heels……   I’ve broke 100 Km too!  J    

I’m really enjoying the commute and I think my legs must be getting stronger as I can climb the Lancaster hill in 13th gear!       

Brendan, you mentioned the other day that
Lancaster Street
is in desperate need of bike lanes.   I couldn’t agree more.    I leave
Lancaster Street
as soon as I possibly can for that reason alone.   Last night on my way home I was surprised when not one, but two cars passed me at the SAME TIME going over the highway.    There was a car passing on the left and one passing on the right to enter the highway both at the same time.   It felt a little claustrophobic and got my heart racing as the cars did not slow down at all.   Union and Margaret Streets are wide roads and there is plenty of room for bikes and I think they would also be good streets to have designated bike lanes.     Although painted bike lanes do not offer any physical protection from the passing motorists, I think the painted lines help the motorists judge how much room the bikers need.   I have had a few motorists pass me a little too close for comfort.     

Here's a quote that I stumbled across......... thought everyone would enjoy it.....

“I have always struggled to achieve excellence. One thing that cycling has taught me is that if you can achieve something without a struggle it's not going to be satisfying.”
Greg LeMond


Terri R  - City of Kitchener

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terri! Glad to hear that you logged over 100km so far in the Bike2Work Challenge. Thanks for your comments regarding infrastructure improvements. For your information, there are plans to add cycling lanes to Margaret Avenue (from Union St. to Victoria St) sometime in the fall. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete