Sunday 17 June 2012

I feel healthier and more energetic

I've always been a strong believer in exercise and healthy eating and also that, the more exercise I get, the more productive and energized I am during the day.  I've noticed this in the past and I notice it today.  For example, when I first moved to Kitchener and began work at Google, I would go to the gym nearly every morning.  I remember feeling very energized and productive.  I continued going to the gym for nearly 2 months until work started to get crazy.

With deadlines approaching and the amount of work piling up I had to pull in long hours at work.  Soon I was just too tired to hit the gym.  I eventually stopped going to the gym entirely.  I stopped going to the gym from February to mid-May and I can honestly say, there was a definite drop in my energy.  I started being lazy, which was reflected in my personal life and work life.  Not to say it was a major issue, but it's something that I could feel and something I needed to fix.

This past week is the first week after a long time that I have been getting consistent exercise and I feel the difference!  My daily routine includes, waking up as early as 6.30 AM to bike to the Breithaupt Center, which, as mentioned in my last post, has a swimming pool.  After swimming for 30 to 45 minutes I bike from here to work.  This gives me a solid hour and thirty minutes of exercise at least three to four times a week!  I can't say enough how much more energized I feel during the day.  I notice it in my productivity at work and at home.  So many positive things have come out of biking to work that I can't see myself ever stopping!

1 comment:

  1. Ashok, it's great to hear that you are back on track with exercising! Bicycling also gives me a boost of energy while I'm at work, but I also noticed that it helps with mental health as well. For example, I'm a lot less stressed at work and in general when I take a break and get some exercise (whether that be cycling on my lunch hour, walking to a meeting, etc). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete