Wednesday 20 June 2012

...a little bit easier and a little bit faster.


Today marks the third week of biking and I still love it!
Each day I bike to work it gets a little bit easier and I get a little bit faster. My first bike ride to work took me approximately 45 minutes and now it takes about 30 minutes to make it to work. Part of the reason it was taking me so long was that I did not really have any idea as to how to use the gears on my bike. Now that I have figured that out, things are going much smoother…except for the hills.

I have yet to get off my bike to walk it up any hills (a goal I set for myself as the challenge began). Even if I am exhausted, I just change the gears to the very lowest that I can and mosey along. The hill that gets me the most isn’t even the one that is the biggest. It’s the hill at the end of my ride that I live on the top of. It’s a little like torture getting up that last leg, knowing that I am so close to the finish line, but it's so rewarding when I finally make it!

I spent my lunch yesterday with Kayleigh Platz, a fellow Bike2Work participant. Our conversation quickly evolved to highlight how wonderful we both feel as a direct reflection of this challenge. We both agreed that we feel healthier, more fit and much less guilty when we do not make it to the gym after work. By the end of our lunch we decided that we are going to hold each other to this challenge even after it is all over.

I hope that some of you have started biking to work with us!

- Laura M. from Desire2Learn

No comments:

Post a Comment