Friday 8 June 2012

"I’m enjoying seeing my neighbourhood up close and personal"

I’ve made a couple trips into work and home this week. I’ve had fun trying out different routes, but surprisingly enough am currently preferring to bike the same route I normally drive – directly down Glasgow until it twists and turns its way (and changes street names) to King St. Riding on the road has been great – so far cars haven’t been an issue, and I’ve felt fairly safe. Pedestrians, however, have been a concern. I had a couple pedestrians try to jay walk in front me while I was doing a pretty fast clip on the road! I’m glad the breaks on my bike work well, as hitting someone at almost 30km would not have been pretty.
Talking about pretty, however, I’m enjoying seeing my neighbourhood up close and personal. I moved into my new home last fall, but never made the time to wander around. Now biking has made me be far more aware of the streets, homes and other people out and about early in the morning. It’s also made me super aware of just how brutal the condition of Glasgow St really is. I have to admit, I always thought the road was in awful shape, with potholes and cracks, but the shoulder of the road in even worse shape. Not only are there potholes and cracks, but there is loose asphalt and a lot of low-hanging branches near Westmount golf course.
I’ve got a fairly short bike ride (only 5 km) and have not needed to change my commute in anyway. I do admit to liking the bike to work better than home though – it’s all uphill at the end of the day. I’m not crazy about tackling big hills after a day of work, but I’m sure my legs will appreciate it by the end of the month, right?
Kayleigh P. from Communitech.

No comments:

Post a Comment