Wednesday 13 June 2012

"It's like pedalling through a Disney movie."


Week two! Man oh man, the times, they are a’changin’.

Since I am about as graceful as an newborn giraffe, I’m still a tad on the wobbly side, but I can proudly say I can now bike on roads with relative ease and haven’t crashed even once. (Fingers crossed, knock on wood, rub the Laughing Buddha’s belly, etc etc etc)

Previously, my daily biking commute was on a strict road-only diet: I’d bike down Erb to Uptown and then ride the King Street rollercoaster to Victoria. It was an easy-to-remember route, but a portion of it didn’t have bike lanes, making the journey a bit trickier. One of the stellar Ziggy’s employees gifted me a map of the bike trails and I decided to put it to use this week. (Thank you!)

Holy smokes guys. If you haven’t been on the Iron Horse trail, please stop reading now and go. I’m serious, go right now. I’ll still be here when you get back, I pinky-promise.

Going on the bike trails was like discovering a secret underground passage way, only it wasn’t because the trails have clear signage and they are very much above ground, but you know what I mean. It’s such a beautiful ride: lots of greenery, friendly smiling faces, birds chirping, sunshine, people breaking into song… Basically, it’s like pedalling through a scene in a Disney movie (although I may have fibbed a bit about the “breaking into song”, but you could totally start that, if that’s your thing).
Yeah, my morning commute could beat up your morning commute. No big deal.

- Chantal J. from Desire2Learn

2 comments: