Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Challenge Begins!

Yesterday, all 12 participants arrived at Ziggy's Cycle, eager to pick up their bicycles and start the challenge! Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this challenge is the range of participants involved. One is a mother trying to set a better example for her children. Another is a young professional trying to be more green. And many have never cycled to work before, but want to give it a try. Throughout the challenge, each participant will be blogging about their experiences as a new bicycle commuter. You'll be with them during their whole experience, and it is my hope that their stories will inspire you to also try commuting to work by bicycle. Why? Because it saves money, provides you with an opportunity to get healthy, improves air quality, reduces traffic congestion and parking demand, and last but not least - it's FUN!

The 12 participants + staff in front of Ziggy's Cycle!
 As a kid I had a dream - I wanted to own my own bicycle. When I got the bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I lived for that bike. Most kids left their bike in the backyard at night. Not me. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed. ~ John Lennon
Post by: Josh Joseph

4 comments:

  1. Are any of the contestants mounting camera's on their helmets / bikes (think gopro)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! Maybe I'll see if I can give it a try. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Graham. I'll share that idea with the participants and hopefully we'll have some of them try it! It'll definitely provide an interesting perspective on their bicycle commute to and from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be Graham! Handle bar mount next week I hope!

    ReplyDelete